Sunday, November 15, 2009

Palestine-Israel, The ongoing joint struggles against the separation fence and occupation

The struggle continue against transfer/evictions in Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood of east Jerusalem. The struggle of the new wave of refusnics continue with lower level of state repression than of the previous year - shorter arrest terms... Though only the on going Friday demonstrations of Bil'in, Ni'ilin, and Ma'asara, persist, we get more and more invitations - even if non joined lately the heroic three. (This week the Anarchists Against the Wall were invited to Al Gussoun north of Tul Karem and to Karyut. We were also invited to: "On Monday 9 November a hundred Palestinians waving Palestinian flags and wearing fluorescent jackets saying "WE ARE GOING TO JERUSALEM" took down a piece of the concrete wall near Kalandia's airport.) The number of people who join us increase.


Anouncement during the week:

There will be a demonstration in Deir alGussoun north of Tul Karem this Saturday at 10:30.
The village is north of Tul Karem, and years ago, there have been a few demonstrations there, but nothing recently.
The wall in the area, which was built in 2003, creeps into the village's lands leaving about 2500 dunams of the village's 13,000 west of the wall (on the "Israeli" side).
Please let me know if you'd like to go.

Press release 14 November 2009 - 18 Demonstrators arrested after a Gate in the Wall was Breached in Deir alGhussoun

The protesters were arrested as the demonstration was coming to an end, by soldiers who invaded the village and flanked them from the back.

Eighteen demonstrators were arrested today in the West Bank village of Deir alGhussoun, north of Tul Karem, after Israel's Separation Wall was breached by Palestinian, Israeli and international protesters. The protesters intended to march to village's lands that were left isolated behind the Wall, and managed to break open one of the barrier's gates.

The demonstrators managed to break the lock on the gate by rocking it back and forth, despite the presence of soldiers, but could not reach their lands, as they were being shot at with rubber-coated bullets and teargas . One demonstrator was lightly injured after being struck with a rubber-coated bullet in the leg.

As the demonstration was coming to an end, a large group of soldiers surprised a group of the protesters by closing in on them from the direction of the village, and arrested eighteen of the village's youth.

Today's demonstration was the opening salvo for a public campaign by the Deir elGhussoun municipality and the affected farmers, which will accompany an appeal the Israeli High Court of Justice to remove the already-built wall from the village's land. The said appeal is expected to be filed in the near future.

The wall in the area of the village cuts deep into West Bank land, leaving about 2,500 dunams (620 acres) of the village's land west of the wall (on the "Israeli" side), effecting 120 land owners, dozens of which do not receive permits from the Israeli army to even minimally tend to their lands.

In an advisory opinion issued in July 2004, the International Court of Justice in the Hague has declared the path of Israel's wall in the West Bank illegal in its entirety, and ordered its removal. To date, Israel continues to disregard international law, and continues to build the wall and expand settlements.

For more details: Jonathan Pollak (Hebrew and English):

MEDIA with picture,7340,L-3805014,00.html
IDF says demonstrators arrested after damaging gate; protestors say 18 held for questioning. Six protestors were detained Saturday during a demonstration against the West Bank security fence in a village near Tulkarem.

Dozens of Palestinians, Israelis, and foreign activists protested against what they claim is land confiscation in favor of the security fence. They also lamented the absence of permits for farmers seeking to work their land.

ALT. MEDIA with pictures:

.... The protesters said they intended to march to lands that were left isolated behind the wall in Deir Al-Ghusun, northeast of Tulkarem, and managed to break open one of the barrier's gates before Israeli soldiers invaded the village.

One demonstrator was lightly injured after being struck with a rubber-coated bullet in the leg, onlookers said.

"Today's demonstration was the opening salvo for a public campaign by the Deir Al-Ghusun municipality and the affected farmers," said Anarchists Against the Wall, an Israeli group, in a statement. "As the demonstration was coming to an end, a large group of soldiers surprised a group of the protesters by closing in on them from the direction of the village, and arrested 18 of the village's youth."
--- snip ---
Jonathan Pollak, one of the group's founders, told Ma'an that 18 demonstrators were originally detained, but added he was looking into the possibility that some were later released.


"This Friday in Bil'in - This week the Bil'in demonstration usual suspects were joined by the Palestinian People's party and the Israeli-mostly-Palestinian Democratic Front (Hadash), including three of its Knesset members.

While waiting for the Democratic Front buses crossing from the Israeli side, the local organizers, Palestinian and Israeli politicians and Israeli and international activists made assertive speeches mentioning Arafat's 5th memorial, Barake's recent indictment for allegedly assaulting a policeman in a Bil'in demo a few years back, and the boycott.

Speeches were held by members of the Popular Committee, members of Knesset, activists from Israeli group Shministim (Refusniks) and members of Irak Veterans against the War from the United States.

The large number of demonstrators - some 300 - must have stressed the soldiers, who used large amounts of gas. In one of the stampedes away from the gas an American demonstrator tripped and hurt his head, requiring medical attention and a few stitches. As often happens, the army fired the multi gas canister cannon after the demonstration had been declared over, and the protesters were on their way back to the village. All participants won free Berlin-Bil'in T-shirts".

Friday 13.11.09 Bil'in video at


Sheikh Jarrah - Another expression of solidarity on Friday 13/11 in Sheikh Jarrah

We will gather at Zion square at 15:30 and will walk together to Sheikh Jarrah to express our support for the residents of the neighborhood.
Another meeting point: the Museum on the Seam at 16:00.

The settlers who are living in the homes of the evicted families have begun to harass Palestinian families in the neighborhood that are now living in the street. They have begun to gather near the Palestinian families on Friday evenings, making noise and scaring the families. Our presence there last week was important to the families and because of it the police prevented the settlers from coming near the houses.
For more information- M


Kalandia wall taken down on the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin wall


Few dozen Palestinians, internationals and Israelis joined the weekly demonstration against the wall and occupation in Al-Ma'sara. The demo was held as usual in front of some Israeli military soldiers who blocked it from continuing towards the Palestinian lands beyond the wall's route. The Israeli soldiers kept children from pulling a barbed wire that was put there by the soldiers. During the demo protestors chanted slogans against the Israeli apartheid wall, occupation and land theft. Speeches were carried in Arabic and English, and in them were mentioned the 5 anniversary to Arafaat's death and the Israeli continued reluctance to end the occupation and achieve peace. One Palestinian woman has managed to cross between the soldiers and pass through carrying a Palestinian flag. The demo ended with a promise to continue the struggle and weekly demos.


In Ni'ilin, some 150 demonstrators gathered after the prayer and marched to the fence. The demonstration opened with 20 minutes of slogan chanting near the gate. Peculiarly enough, the army did not retaliate. Soon after, some of the village youth began throwing stones at the fortifications hiding the soldiers. For long minutes, the army chose again not to retaliate. As more stone throwers joined the field, little by little the soldiers started using tear gas. But still, much less than usual. Knowing that this relative calmness from the soldiers is usually but a preparation to some fierce surprise, the experienced youth were not tempted to take heavy risks. As the demonstration continued, the military violence gradually increased and rising amounts of tear gas flooded the fields. All of the sudden, the gas was joined by live ammunition shot at the demonstrators. Ever since June 5, 2009 – when Akil Sadek Srur was murdered by this gun in a Ni'ilin demonstration, the soldiers have hesitantly used this weapon – and the following demonstrations "only" counted few wounded from these bullets. Today, the careful approach proved itself, and despite the military's thirst for blood only two light injuries were listed. The demonstration did not die, and many soldiers invaded the fields forcing it closer to the village. Luckily enough, although the soldiers attempted to carry out arrests and shot dozens of live bullets, neither injuries nor arrests were made. After re-gathering on a hilltop, the demonstrators decided to end the weekly protest. In a media release – the army announced that due to the severe damage inflicted to the wall in the prior demonstration, the shortly illegal firing of live ammunition at unarmed demonstrators is now "legal" again.


friends and anti-military activists demonstrate in support of Or Ben-David, a conscious objector in Israel

No comments: